Saturday, September 23, 2006

stockholm yarn store



Anna told me about 'Marias garn', a shop in a part of Stockholm called 'sodermalm'. It's on St-Paulsgatan 20 (www.mariasgarn.se)
Whenever I am on holiday, I want to buy some typical yarn for that place, and as a rule I don't buy yarn that I can get in my own LYS (I want to support them too !).
Lately I have begun to knit a bit of lace, so I am always looking for nice lace yarn.
The very nice yarn shop owner of this shop helped to select this (from left to right) :
1) natural grey DK weight yarn from a small farm on the isle of Gotland (www.ihregard.se)
The yarn shop owner told me she went to Gotland, and returned with 15kg of wool. The whole car smelled like sheep. It comes in 3 natural grey colors - I bought the medium color.
2) blue lace weight from a company called Hedängens ull och garn (handdyed in the color peacock)
3) olive linen yarn - not really lace weight, but the shop had a shawl knitted up in this - very nice !

Anna raadde me aan om naar 'Marias garn' te gaan, een winkel in Sodermalm (voorstad van Stockholm). Als ik op reis ben, probeer ik als souvenir telkens wol typisch voor dat land te kopen. Wat ik in mijn lokale wolwinkel kan kopen zal ik niet van het buitenland meebrengen (en ze hebben hier heel wat !). Omdat ik onlangs ook met wat kantbreiwerk begonnen ben, zoek ik mijn voorraad heel dunne wol uit te breiden. Dit is wat ik in Stockholm heb gekocht :
1) een natturlijke kleur grijs van een kleine boerderij op Gotland. De verkoopster vertelde me dat ze dit persoonlijk op de boerderij was gaan kopen. Toen ze terugkwam met 15kg wol in de auto, rook die helemaal naar schaap. Er waren 3 natuurlijke kleuren grijs (ik kocht de middelste kleur, dus niet heel licht en niet heel donker).
2) handgeverfde blauwe wol in de kleur 'pauw'
3) olijfkleurig linnen - iets dikker, maar toch heel geschikt voor een omslagdoek

4 comments:

nevrothwen said...

What are you going to make with the wool you bought? I could always use another pair of socks :D
I really like the stuff you bought.

Anonymous said...

Your trip sounded fabulous. I like what you bought at this yarn shop, and your photo was very artistic with the buildings of Stockholm showing through the store window.

Unknown said...

About the swallowtail: laat eerst 3 st. slippen, p2tog en haal de 3 over deze. Zo maakte ik mijn (onmogelijke) p5tog. Succes en ik ben benieuwd naar een foto (en welk garen je gebruikt!)

AlisonH said...

You do gorgeous work! Look at all that! As for the yarn, my brain was instantly grabbing the skeins and running off with them: Print of the Wave lace for the blue, you know, waves on the shore, blue, that works. The olive I could just see in one of the patterns in my book coming out next summer. They're lovely yarns--enjoy!