Friday, August 31, 2007

Last part of the cruise - report

Day 8 - at sea

Finally we had another day at sea - time for a workshop. We had 2 options : work on a mini top-down mitten, and transform this into a doll. Merike demonstrated the how to start a mitten from the top. I didn't take any pictures of this doll - I have the handout, but pictures help a lot.

I opted to do the other project - a mini bear, wearing a kihnu troi sweater. This is the workshop sample by Merike, side to side to my work-in-progress. I liked doing the braid thing at the bottom of the sweater, now I still have to finish this project. (and as you may have read, there are several other projects here at home waiting for my attention).

Dag 8 - op zee

Eindelijk nog eens een brei-workshop, want we waren een hele dag op zee. Twee mogelijkheden : brei een mini wantje, beginnend van het puntje en dan naar beneden; en vorm dit om tot een popje. Merike demonstreerde de opzettechniek. Ik koos voor het andere project - een mini-beer, die een truitje van het eiland Kihnu draagt. Traditioneel is er altijd een rood randje onderaan, om het kwade oog af te weren ? In elk geval was deze gevlochten rand voor mij nieuw (zou ook heel mooi zijn aan een paar sokken of wanten). Hier zie je het voorbeeldexemplaar, en mijn beertje in wording. Nu is de goesting een beetje weg om dit af te werken, eens thuis zijn er andere projecten die ik wil afmaken (en beginnen!).

Day 9 - Aarhus, Day 10 - Oslo

The trip ended with 2 shorter visits - half a day in Aarhus (Denmarks second city), and 5 hours in Oslo. I had spent 2 nice weeks in Aarhus before (another home exchange holiday). While the city is not big, you have lots of possibilities for entertaining a family with kids. Now I opted to visit the open-air museum 'Gamle by' again. Great picture taking opportunities. Fabulous yarn stores in Aarhus too ! In fact, I bought my very first Hanne Falkenberg kit in Aarhus, but now I stayed away from the yarn stores. The well-known Danish designer Marianne Isager has a shop here.


Oslo didn't impress me much. Of course, only having 4 hours to spend there, and it poured during that time didn't help either.

If I would have any remarks on the trip it would be the last part of the itenarery. The cruise is called 'Scandinavian capitals', but if you want to visit Oslo, I would appreciate to have a bit more time.

Sailing back to Copenhagen, Merike showed us how to spin on a drop spindle. I don't know if there will be much spinning in my future, but I loved feeling the fibre glide through my hands, petting it.

All in all, I had a great trip, and I want to thank my roommate Cate also, for offering to share a cabin and being good company.

Dag 9- Aarhus, dag 10 - Oslo

De reis eindigde met 2 kortere bezoeken - een halve dag in Aarhus, en 5 uur in Oslo. I heb al eens een huisruilvakantie van 2 weken in Aarhus gehad toen de kinderen jonger waren. We hebben toen veel gefietst, naar het strand gegaan, getoerd, pretparken bezocht ...Nu koos ik ervoor om 'Gamle By' te bezoeken, een openluchtmuseum, waar je natuurlijk mooie foto's kan nemen. Er zijn ook enkele interessante wolwinkels in Aarhus die ik nu bewust heb overgeslagen (de verleiding zou misschien te groot zijn).

Oslo maakte niet zo'n goede indruk. Als je maar 4 uur hebt, en het giet regen dan is dat natuurlijk niet zo aangenaam.

Als ik één opmerking over de cruise zou hebben, dan vind ik de reisweg in het tweede deel van de trip minder geslaagd. De reis heet 'Scandinavische hoofdsteden', en dan zou je toch wat meer tijd in Oslo moeten kunnen doorbrengen.

Daarna vaarden we terug naar onze beginhaven Kopenhagen. Merike toonde ons onderweg hoe te werken met een spintol. Ik weet niet of er veel garen spinnen in mijn toekomst zal zijn, maar manipuleren van al de verschillende vezels was heel plezant. Het door je handen laten glijden van merino, zijde, ruwe wol en zachte wol ... een ervaring. Het spinnen zelf ging me iets minder goed af.

Kort samengevat - super reis gehad, schitterende steden gezien, interessante workshops (mocht wat meer geweest zijn). Ook nog een dikke bedankt aan Cate met wie ik een kajuit deelde, en die heel aangenaam gezelschap was !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Dominique, I learned more about the ports (except for Tallinn!) we stopped at than from my own little excursions. And, Dominique, it was very kind of you to not mention that when I wrote the directions for the Kihnu bear I didn't take into consideration that I had knitted the legs onto the bottom AFTER I knit the sweater. So, when you follow my directions exactly, you'll find the a front leg and a back leg instead of a right and left leg. Oh well, at least the legs are just garter squares (to be sewn into tube and stuffed) that can be taken out and re-done... Thank You Dominique for being such a VALUABLE part of the class (you Know what I mean!) and for your great blog! - Merike